After Laoag City has been declared as under a state of calamity following the effects of typhoon “Labuyo”, city government officials clarified that only the affected barangays and families would be given relief goods.
During the regular staff meeting at the City Hall, presided over by Laoag City Mayor Michael V. Fariñas, on September 26, Ms Aurora Corpuz, city social welfare and development officer, said of all the 80 barangays in the city, only Barangay Balatong was reported to have been unaffected by the calamity.
Corpuz based this fact on the report of Barangay Balatong Chair Carmelo Ventura who said there was no heavy flooding in his area.
However, Corpuz said she received reports from residents of the said barangay who were claiming they were affected by the typhoon and that they could not go out of their homes to procure their needs. But Corpuz maintained that flooding in the said barangay was not as bad as those suffered by the city’s other barangays.
In her report, Corpuz stated that 79 barangays in the city were affected, with a total of 5,864 families, or 28,033 persons. Her office was able to serve 5,574 families, or 26,213 persons.
She added that 85 families, or 467 persons, had been evacuated, and there six houses partially damaged, and two houses in Barangay Madiladig totally damaged.
The most affected barangays, based on Corpuz’s report, are Barangays 29, Nangalisan and 1, which registered the highest number of families affected.
Public schools such as the AP Santos Elementary School, Plaridel Elementary School and the Cavit Day-Care Center served as evacuation centers for those affected by the typhoon.
The city government purchased an estimated P140,000 worth of assorted goods and 175 sacks of rice from the DSWD was purchased.
Total damages from the typhoon had been pegged at P18,907,500 for infrastructure and P1,769,950 for agriculture.
Dominic B. dela Cruz