Free Web Hosting Provider - Web Hosting - E-commerce - High Speed Internet - Free Web Page
Search the Web

September 05 - September 11, 2005
THE ILOCOS TIMES - NEWS

LC dengue victims now total 36

With dengue cases rising in most part of the country, Dr. Renato Mateo, city health officer, announced that the total number of victims in the city had reached 36 as of September 5.

However Mateo said the present dengue situation in the city is not yet considered as alarming since no fatality has been reported yet from the said disease.

Just the same, the city remains on alert for the dreaded disease.

Still, Mateo reiterated his request for the purchase of additional insecticides for fogging purposes, this after the City Health Office had finished fumigating the different schools in the city and they have started on the different barangays.

The request according to Mateo is because the CHO no longer has budget for the barangays’ fumigation.

In response to this, Dr. Reynaldo Garo, city Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) director, suggested that an amount be allocated from the calamity fund—with the approval of the Sangguniang Panlungsod by declaring the city under a state of calamity—for the fumigation of the city’s barangays.

However Mateo said the suggestion was not applicable since the council has no basis to declare the city under a state of calamity as there has been no spread of the said disease.

Meanwhile, as a result of this, Laoag City Mayor Michael V. Fariñas said he was dismayed after his request for the passage of a supplemental budget amounting to P300,000 intended for the purchase of fumigating chemicals has yet to be acted upon by the city council.

According to Fariñas, he has forwarded the said request to the council for almost a month already.

Reacting to this, Laoag City Vice Mayor Marlon Wayne D. Manuel, in his chairman’s time during the council’s session last August 31, said Fariñas’ request had been referred to the committee on finance, chaired by Laoag City Councilor Vicentito M. Lazo.

In a related development, Dr. Rogelio Balbag, provincial health officer, announced that there had been 109 cases of dengue in the province, including Laoag City.

Of the 109 cases, there had been three deaths from different towns of the province.

In view of this, Balbag has appealed for the public’s help in containing the deadly disease by maintaining cleanliness in their areas and by removing materials containing stagnant waters which are breeding grounds for the dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

Dominic B. dela Cruz

Other News...
... LC dengue victims now total 36
... Former city dad is new LC legal officer
... SP backs California bill seeking inclusion of Filipino heroism in WWII in school curriculum
... Food security and poverty alleviation
... LC treasurer’s office erred in auctioning lot
... MVF irked on passport service brouhaha
... LC diocese volunteer group nominated
... LC to extend scholarship grant to poor but deserving students

... TOP NEWS

| Back To Top |

Copyright 2005 Ilocos Times. All rights reserved.